Truganina Munitions Reserve,
Palmers Road,
Truganina
Item
Dublin Core
Title
Palmers Road,
Truganina
Description
Creator
Contributor
Publisher
Source
Format
Language
Article Item Type Metadata
Text
Large disused industrial complex bounded by Palmers Road, Boundary Road and Dohertys Road, Truganina. The main entrance is on the west side of Palmers Road and consists of a gate house and a cluster of administrative buildings. On the east side of Palmers Road (opposite the gates) are several barracks buildings constructed of corrugated iron. Throughout the reserve are dozens of small buildings, well separated from one another. Most of these are constructed of brick, but there is a group of sheds constructed of timber and corrugated iron located close to the corner of Palmers Road and Dohertys Road. It is possible that there once was a tramway system operating on the site. Throughout the site are a number of stands of planted trees.
Also located on the site are the Army Stables (Dohertys Road) and the ruin known as ‘Henry Robinson’s house (Palmers Road).
This property was the site last century of John Robinson’s farm, identified in the 1880s as on 160 acres in Crown Allotment 1, Section XXV, Parish of Truganina. By the late 1880s, Margaret Robinson was listed as owner of the farm which from the middle 1890s, was owned by Henry Robinson.
The Dohertys Road property is probably most notable within the municipality for its use during the Second World War as the site of a munitions depot and Army Stables.
According to one account:
‘Impending war had its effect on the Shire. In January 1938 it became known that the Government intended to acquire Henry Robinson’s property bounded by Doherty’s , Boundary and Palmers Roads, for use as a munitions depot, a part of the Government’s plan to improve the position with regard to armaments in Australia.’
For some time the Robinson family had owned Allotments 1, 2 and 3 in Section XXV.
Large disused industrial complex bounded by Palmers Road, Boundary Road and Dohertys Road, Truganina. The main entrance is on the west side of Palmers Road and consists of a gate house and a cluster of administrative buildings. On the east side of Palmers Road (opposite the gates) are several barracks buildings constructed of corrugated iron. Throughout the reserve are dozens of small buildings, well separated from one another. Most of these are constructed of brick, but there is a group of sheds constructed of timber and corrugated iron located close to the corner of Palmers Road and Dohertys Road. It is possible that there once was a tramway system operating on the site. Throughout the site are a number of stands of planted trees.
Also located on the site are the Army Stables (Dohertys Road) and the ruin known as ‘Henry Robinson’s house (Palmers Road).
This property was the site last century of John Robinson’s farm, identified in the 1880s as on 160 acres in Crown Allotment 1, Section XXV, Parish of Truganina. By the late 1880s, Margaret Robinson was listed as owner of the farm which from the middle 1890s, was owned by Henry Robinson.
The Dohertys Road property is probably most notable within the municipality for its use during the Second World War as the site of a munitions depot and Army Stables.
According to one account:
‘Impending war had its effect on the Shire. In January 1938 it became known that the Government intended to acquire Henry Robinson’s property bounded by Doherty’s , Boundary and Palmers Roads, for use as a munitions depot, a part of the Government’s plan to improve the position with regard to armaments in Australia.’
For some time the Robinson family had owned Allotments 1, 2 and 3 in Section XXV.
Collection
Citation
Palmers Road,
Truganina,” Wyndham History, accessed December 11, 2023, https://development.cclc.vic.gov.au/items/show/1016.
Social Bookmarking
Geolocation
Item Relations
This Item | Relation | Item: Army Stables, Dohertys Road, Tarneit |
This Item | Relation | Item: Henry Robinson house, Palmers Road, Truganina |
Comments